Looking for dental crowns in Forest Hills?
What are dental crowns?
Dental crowns are fixed prosthetic devices as they are cemented directly onto the existing tooth or implant. They are needed when the tooth is heavily decayed and weak to the point where a filling would not be sufficient. When the condition of the tooth is heavily decayed, the likelihood of a fracture or the loss of tooth substance is increased, therefore requiring either a crown or bridge. What is a crown? Often, a crown is needed when a cavity threatens the health of a tooth. A crown completely caps a damaged tooth, providing tooth-like functionality. It also is used to protect and strengthen a weak or cracked tooth, or for the improvement of the alignment, shape, and appearance of the tooth. A dental crown can help in the protection of future decay of the damaged tooth. Brite Smile Dental uses a porcelain crown “Metal free” that will match the color of your natural teeth. In order to provide an accurately fitting crown, an impression of the tooth is made. This impression is the basis for the shape and size of the crown. Once the custom fit crown is made, it is then bonded to the needy tooth. The practice of proper oral hygiene habits will help in the maintenance of the crown.
What are the benefits of a dental crown?
Dental crowns are great for so many different reasons; It can be used to address a severely decayed tooth that has recently been repaired with a root canal, a damaged tooth from some type of accident, or if you have a misshaped tooth that you simply want to match your existing teeth. A dental crown can get the job done quickly and inexpensively. They offer improved chewing / eating chewing and eating are often affected when you lose or damage a tooth. Thanks to modern dentistry, the materials that are used to build the dental crown have been made tougher so that you can continue to eat foods that you love with almost zero restrictions.
Is a porcelain crown the same as a cap?
Porcelain crowns are also referred to as caps which are placed over your existing teeth and mask discoloration, chips, cracks, and help to reinforce weakened teeth. For example, when a root canal is done it leaves the tooth in a weakened, uncovered state. A porcelain crown then provides reinforcement along with durability for a natural looking, functioning result.
In most cases with a porcelain crown from Dr. Lestz, no one can tell the difference from your natural tooth. Crowns are excellent for dental restorations, as the tight bonding allows for better chewing ability and a strong bite. Dr Lestz uses a highly specialized lab to create a custom crown. The result is durable, stain resistant, and very natural looking.
Porcelain crowns are a type of dental crown that are made from a high-quality, tooth-colored ceramic material. Some of the advantages of porcelain crowns include:
- Natural appearance: Porcelain crowns can be designed to closely mimic the appearance of natural teeth. They are available in a range of shades and can be customized to match the color, shape, and size of the surrounding teeth, resulting in a natural-looking smile.
- Durability: Porcelain crowns are highly durable and can last for many years with proper care. They are resistant to chipping, cracking, and staining, and can withstand the normal wear and tear of everyday use.
- Biocompatibility: Porcelain is a biocompatible material, which means that it is not harmful to the body and does not cause any allergic reactions or adverse effects.
- Functionality: Porcelain crowns provide excellent functional benefits, such as restoring the shape, size, and strength of a damaged tooth. They can also be used to cover and protect a tooth that has undergone a root canal treatment or a large filling.
- Minimal preparation: Porcelain crowns require minimal preparation of the natural tooth structure, which means that less tooth material needs to be removed compared to other types of crowns. This can help to preserve the integrity of the natural tooth and reduce the risk of future problems.
- Stain resistance: Porcelain crowns are highly resistant to staining, which means that they will maintain their natural-looking appearance for many years even with regular consumption of staining foods and drinks.
porcelain crowns offer several advantages over other types of dental crowns, including a natural appearance, durability, biocompatibility, functionality, minimal preparation, and stain resistance. - Richard Lestz, DDS